Say this: With the craziness and intensity of this year’s presidential election, sometimes we have to remind ourselves that it is okay to laugh a little as we consider this important decision. We are blessed to live in the greatest country in history, and the freedom to elect our leaders is one of our most important rights and privileges. Unfortunately, this election has reminded us that many candidates are often not worthy of the office they are seeking. It is important that Christians participate in our democratic process, but also have a Biblical understanding of it. Here are a few things to keep in mind as our nation prepares to vote.
- (Read Daniel 2:20-22) God raises up and allows leaders to accomplish His ultimate purpose.
- (Read Romans 13:1) God commands us to respect our leaders even if we don’t agree with them.
- (Read 1 John 1:8-10) Leaders are human which means they are sinful and will make mistakes.
- (Read 1 Timothy 2:1-2) God commands us to pray for our leaders.
- (Read Mark 16:15-16) Our hope is not found in political leaders, but in the Gospel of Christ.
Say This: As our culture seems to be moving further away from the things of God, it should not surprise us that our political candidates often do not reflect our Christian beliefs. We must do our best to understand their positions on the issues, and then should prayerfully choose the candidate that best reflects our values.
- What do you think it would be like to be President? What would the best part of this job? What would be the worst part?
- What good (or bad) things have you seen in this year’s presidential candidates?
- As Christians, what issues should we focus on in order to choose our candidate?
- Even though it can sometimes be discouraging, why should we continue to participate in the election process?
Pray This: Dear God, thank you for allowing us to live in this great country, and for the freedom we enjoy. We know that being able to vote for our leaders is an important right and responsibility. We ask that you would raise up Godly people to lead this nation, and that you would give us wisdom to choose the best candidates. Remind us that while leaders are human and will sometimes disappoint us, our hope is ultimately found in the salvation offered through your Son Jesus Christ. Amen
Don’t miss future Table Talks. We email these out each month. Subscribe to our email list here…
Did you know we have several more Table Talks? You can see the full list here…