Help your kids understand they are significant not because of what they do, but because of who they are.
Watch This: Watch this mom get some much needed advice from an unlikely source…
Ask This: Who knows what the word significance means? (Work to compose a definition everyone understands.) What makes you feel significant?
Say This: Many people base their self-worth on the type of phone they own, car they drive, school they attend, or income they earn. Others look for significance in the form of Facebook friends, Instagram likes, or Twitter followers. While there is nothing wrong with any of those things, they are not what ultimately gives our lives meaning. Let’s look at what the Bible tells us makes us significant.
- We Are Made In God’s Image (Read Genesis 1:27)
”So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
- God Made Us Exactly As He Wanted (Read Psalm 139:13-14 and Luke 12:7)
”For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.”
“Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.”
- God Has A Plan For Our Lives (Read Ephesians 2:10)
“For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared before hand, that we should walk in them.”
- Our Significance Is Built On The Cross (Read 2 Corinthians 5:17)
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
Say This: We must understand that our true significance comes not from anything we have done, but from what God has done for us through his son Jesus Christ.
- What is one thing about yourself that you are really proud of / good at?
- Name a specific situation where you sometimes feel small / insecure / insignificant?
- What are some ways that you are tempted to try to measure / build-up your self-worth?
- How can our family help you feel more valued / significant?
Pray This: Dear God, Psalm 139:14 tells us that we are “fearfully and wonderfully made.” We are grateful that our significance has nothing to do with what we have, or what we do, but is solely based on what you have already done by allowing your Son to take our place on the cross. Help us find confidence and peace knowing that you have made us exactly as you intended, and that you have an amazing plan for our lives. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.
Want more? See the full list: Table Talks
Need a plan for leading your family? Take a look at the Dad Plan.